Palliative care focuses on providing patients with relief from the symptoms and stress of a serious, life threatening illness.
The goal is to improve quality of life for both the patient and the family by identifying, assessing and treating pain and other problems encompassing physical, psychosocial and spiritual needs.
Being told that curative care is no longer a possibility can be a very stressful time for everyone involved. Aged Care Planning has skilled staff who can assist patients and family talk through issues of concern. Support is available for the patient or family member to discuss their feelings, hopes and concerns in an open, non-judgemental and caring way.
According to the World Health Organisation definition (2015), palliative care:
- provides relief from pain and other distressing symptoms;
- affirms life and regards dying as a normal process;
- intends neither to hasten or postpone death;
- integrates the psychological and spiritual aspects of patient care;
- offers a support system to help patients live as actively as possible until death;
- offers a support system to help the family cope during the patients illness and in their own bereavement;
- uses a team approach to address the needs of patients and their families, including bereavement counselling, if indicated;
- will enhance quality of life, and may also positively influence the course of illness;
- is applicable early in the course of illness, in conjunction with other therapies that are intended to prolong life, such as chemotherapy or radiation therapy, and includes those investigations needed to better understand and manage distressing clinical complications.
Aged Care Services
We understand time is precious.
Use the form below to send us a quick enquiry. We're here to help.
What Our Clients Say
Thank you so much for all your help, we couldn't have done it without you. We are very happy with St Louis, the care is wonderful. I am back from my trip to the US, much rested and ready for the path ahead.
Thank you very much for your prompt, professional and caring service. Doug has settled in well and is very happy. This is a great relief for me and my sister, Colleen, who were very concerned about making these big decisions about Doug's future. We know that the move was timely and we are very grateful that a vacancy was offered to us in such a short time.
We are truly grateful to you for all your help with mum. I know this would not have been possible without your assistance. It is certainly a distressing time but you have made it very much easier for all of us and we all thank you.
“I found your understanding gave us the strength we needed, especially during the last few days when things became really tough. You have a gift of wisdom and a wonderful sense of humour and we are very fortunate to have had your guidance.”
James and I wanted to send a little note of huge thanks for not only the brilliant end result that you have arranged for Gerald, but more so for the comforting, counselling, understanding, time and support you have given our family.